It’s a cool 52 degrees in Southern California this morning as librarians and vendors from across the country begin to make their way toward San Diego for the ALA Midwinter conference. I’ll be trekking down tomorrow afternoon between rush hours with no plans other than checking into my hotel, finding food, and attending the opening of the exhibits. Since I’m not flying this time and luggage space is not an issue, I can grab all the swag that my sturdy, librarian hands can carry!
If you are headed to Midwinter, check out ProfHacker’s advice for attending conferences [productively]. I’m keeping my schedule more open than I did at ALA Annual back in June, with the exception of Saturday when I have multiple parties obligations. I’m willing to be swayed by public opinion to one or another intriguing event, but mostly I want to make this quick southern sojourn as stress-free as possible. Here is my plan of attack:
- Arrive mid afternoon. Check in. Find food.
- 5:30am — 7:30pm: Exhibits Hall (Convention Center)
- 10:30am — 12:00pm: ACRL New Members Discussion Group (Hilton Bayfront, Aqua 304)
- 1:30pm — 3:30pm: The World (and Jason Griffey) Interviews Vernor Vinge (Convention Center, Rm. 29 A-D)
- [alternate] 1:30pm — 3:30pm: ACRL/LES General Membership Forum (Convention Center, Rm. 24 A)
- 4:00pm — 6:00pm: San Jose SLIS Reception (Symphony Towers, Suite 3400)
- 6:30pm — 8:00pm: ALASC Meet-Up (Field Pub)
- 7:30pm — 10:00pm: Tweet-up (Basic Restaurant)
- 10:30am — 12:00pm: ACRL/LES Reference Discussion Group (Hilton Bayfront, Indigo E)
- [alternate] 10:30am — 12:00pm: ACRL/DLS Discussion Group (Convention Center, Rm. 30 B)
- 1:30pm — 2:30pm: ACRL Forum on futures thinking for academic librarians (Convention Center, Rm. 30)
With the exception of the ACRL NMDG and the San Jose Reception, any of those are subject to change, especially if I’m bribed, coerced, kidnapped or otherwise distracted by crowds and shiny objects (anyone remember watching the World Cup at Annual?). Safe travels and hope to see you there!
If you are heading to San Diego this weekend, what are your plans?